Tuesday, 03. September 2013 by Renee Ellison
Wanta feel better? Move, baby, move….
TWEAK your exercise via the latest research….
No matter how pristinely we eat, if we don’t exercise, all bets are off. Health is 50% eating AND 50% EXERCISE. Flushing the lymph and pumping the heart is like taking a garden hose to the inside of your body—or taking your “innards” through a car wash. What would your trash can look like if it was never hosed out?! That’s what the insides of most people’s bodies look like. Ugh. Let’s change that scenario.
Power walking is it. It is the place to BEGIN (and the place to CONTINUE), because most everyone in most any condition can begin it. Start with a power walk just around your bed, if you have to . Do it 3 X today, then tomorrow four…then around your house…then move it outside…and you’re off to the races of far better health.
I have walked regularly as a habit for a long time, but never have I achieved the results I’m achieving now by just TWEAKING that habit via the latest research.
The latest research is to work HARDER, and shorter. Think of it as spurt exercise. (Caution: begin slowly and work up to this goal by progressive and consistent increments). In other words, your goal might be two 20-minute walks a day, walked HARDER. These are potentially better than one longer one, walked at “half-mast”.
How to tweak your power walk:
1. Bend your arms at the elbows. This causes your back muscles to strengthen, to hold UP your bottom arm during the entire duration of your walk, and expands and strengthens your front chest muscles around your lungs. Experiment with walking both ways (arms down and arms up) and you’ll immediately feel the difference.
2. Open your mouth—breathe from there. This greatly expands your lungs. By the end of your walk, your neighbors will HEAR you breathe.
3. Unlock your hips. Walk with a slight Marilyn Monroe swagger. This lengthens your stride, and tightens your pelvic floor by holding your uterus and bladder in a firmer place, via increased muscle strength there. Unlock those hips.
4. Pick a portion of street or sidewalk with a slight incline to it, and walk that section over and over. The slight incline will strengthen your heart muscle and cause you to work harder. Then increase your intensity via speed as you are able.
5. Drink a half of a lemon in an 8 oz glass of water (grind your lemon, pulp, SKIN and all in the water; I add a smidgeon cayenne pepper, and stevia for sweetener) or an Emergen-C-type electrolyte packet BEFORE you go on your walk, and then follow up immediately with your protein green smoothy drink upon returning. The amino acids in the protein helps rebuild the torn/catabolic state created via the exercise. To do the most good, your body needs these building blocks IMMEDIATELY after exercise, so don’t wait. Also, it needs the electrolytes before, so it has something to fuel this exercise in the first place.
6. If you hate exercise, and have had no luck with starting a good habit with it, don’t “talk” yourself into exercise. Instead, lead with your body. Plop your feet out the front door and ask yourself if you “want to” only LATER. Get your body in position to walk…i.e. facing the street, out IN the street, heading up the hill…and it’ll “happen”. Disengage your head. Drop everything and just go do it. Don’t argue with yourself. DO, and you’ll BECOME!
(Caution for women who have just delivered a baby: allow your body a full month before attempting power walking. Your core is re-positioning and needs time to tighten and realign via the pulling power of nursing. You’re loose as a goose, til your baby “drinks” you into FIRM realignment. A veritable miracle!)
Begin power walking and you’ll LOVE it. After a good month of doing it, introduce resistance training, using only ONE-pound weights. Resistance training yields VISIBLE results, if that is what you’re after (body sculpturing, thinner waist, beautiful legs, etc.) in far less time than any other exercise. Begin with only TWO reps or you’ll be sorry. INCREMENTAL command of yourself is what you’re after. Easy does it, at first, and then…
GO, BABY, GO!!!